like margaret cho. she's fucking awesome. right now, "i cho am a woman" is playing on iTunes. She's brilliant.
First, today I got a letter from my alma mater's career services center. I quickly glanced at it and saw it was a dumb survey I have to fill out about what life after college is like. I promptly threw this aside for the moment and ate lunch instead.
Then I got a phone call from my dad to run an errand for him in town, and my mom said "since you'll be down there already, do you mind running to the general store to get some hamburger?"
I said no, its not a problem. That was a mistake.
My town decided to do some huge fucking (probably unnecessary) construction project without telling anyone! OH HAI! I live here. I would like to know when THE MAIN STREET IN DOWNTOWN IS GOING TO BE FUCKING BLOCKED OFF! Maybe it seems irrational that I am this upset by this, but yeah, it's annoying. The businesses are still open, but because a HUGE PORTION OF THE STREET is blocked off, no one can drive through and park where they usually do, thus parking is limited to a side street or two, which you can only park on one side anyway, and the town wharf, which isn't that big and people are always parked there anyway. So wtf is up with that. I figured that I would have no luck navigating to a parking space and gave up to go home. And figured the only way I could get easily in and out would be by bicycle which is fine, except by the time I drove home, got my bike out of the cellar and arrived downtown, the store i need would be CLOSED. Again, way to go town. WAY TO GO!
So I come home to fill out the previously mentioned stupid survey from my alma mater's career center. Not only is the survey really annoying, dumb, completely unnecessary (Because they already know that NO ONE THAT GRADUATED HAS A REAL JOB!) they enclose a letter saying they haven't heard from me lately. Ummmm, maybe they haven't heard from me lately because I um...GRADUATED! Which means I don't talk to them, not that I ever did anyway because they didn't help at all. They call helping going: Oh if you want help revising your resume, just take that pamphlet. OH, you need interview prep? OH!!!! ok. take that paper. (this paper, fyi, contains no-brainer info like: don't wear your pajamas, take a shower, show up on time/a few minutes early and bring your resume.) well, whodathunk I wouldnt bring my resume. I thought I would totally get hired if I showed up SIX HOURS LATE in pajamas, slippers, my bathrobe without my resume, but the morning paper. Yeah, ummm if you actually think that that will get you a job, you're fucking stupid. I thought it was common sense to wear buisness-ish clothes and bring your resume/portfolio/anything else you need for the interview and show up a few minutes early. Maybe I'm mistaken. Do people actually wear pajamas to interviews and think it's ok?
Also enclosed in this envelope with said survey was a self addressed envelope to send the survey back in. Do you think they could pay for the postage? You think they would be like oh hai, you are doing this to help us out and you are a very recent alum of this school and because you probably don't have full time employment and are trying to save money to you know...LIVE and EAT FOOD and SURVIVE and LIVE, we will pay the postage to return it to us, so you can save money for LIFE to EAT and LIVE. Nope. they can't do it. So now, on top of having to fill out stupid survey, I now have to dig around for a stamp, which will probably result in me giving up and having to go to the post office where I will have to explain that NO I DONT WANT A WHOLE ROLL OF STAMPS but just one single stamp....because the post office here is really dumb! (kind of like the one at my old school hahaha). And its not the cost of the stamp that makes me mad, it's the fact that i have to go out of my way to FIND one.
ben folds is brilliant too. i wish i had skills like him, amanda palmer and elton john all mixed up together. that would be awesome. they all have awesome skillz.
This sucky economy where no one is hiring in my field right now makes me want to up and be an artist/musician. but the problem with that is I'm not nearly good enough. if i were to be a musician, that'd be sweet, but I am only good at playing things that other people wrote. and i cannot make a living that way. and my flute playing is way too rusty to join a symphony orchestra. i could write my own songs, but the problem is that i suck at lyric writing, so i'd have to be like elton john and find my own bernie taupin. my friend val says i am thinking about this too much, but the more and more i am not getting job interviews the more and more i think about it. i don't want to work at dunkin for the rest of my life. i want to do something i love. i do love music and playing music, but i suck at writing complete songs. so i can't be a musician. i also cant be an artist. because my photography isn't the greatest. no one ever looks or comments on my pictures and i think i will delete my deviant art page because no one looks at that either. who am i kidding...i will never be a photojournalist/videojournalist. i should just go to grad school and become a librarian....but i dont want to be a librarian...i'm good at it, but i dont want to do it. at least not right now. i always imagined i'd retire from my career and become a librarian to make extra money. but if i became a librarian now, i'd never get out, i'd be holed up in my house reading books and at work i'd be holed up there and that would be my life...and i'd become an old lady spinster fast and have no life and probably have like sixteen cats even though i'm allergic. i want to be a photojournalist and see the world. but i have no money to travel. which brings me to the fact that i can't find a job in my field, so i will never get better at what i like. well not get better because i can do that on my own, but get real world experience, i suppose. and i also dont have money to get better/more equipment. so i have to deal with what i have. which isnt a lot. at all. hopefully i will get another camera lens soon........any recommendations from any photogs out there? (does anyone besides like the two people i know who read this read this? or should i delete this too?)
should i start just writing a journal to myself on microsoft word for mac and delete every journal i have online and such because no one ever reads this shit anyway? I don't know. you tell me...
i like doing this because i like to let my friends who i dont see anymore know what i'm up to these days. maybe i'll start doing a vlog on youtube? i have a channel with one video on it. but i dont really know what to do with it.
eh.
sorry for turning this simple blog into a long-winded narrative about well, nothing that you, the reader really cares about.
if you have made it this far down the blog, i thank you from the bottom of my heart.
&

2 comments:
Ok #1 don't delete this. I love reading it. Especially since you can't rant to me in person any more.
#2 hey I have a job! But I think I'm the only one so your points still valid.
#3 yes mcla us dumb but we learned that lesson a long time ago.
And #4 this has nothing to do with what you wrote but I miss you Mikki. We need to find a way to see each other soon.
hahaha by "no one that graduated has a job" i meant it in a huge sense like mostly everyone, but there are some exceptions lol. but im sure everyone in my field doesnt have a job related to it like me haha. cause dunkin donuts crew member totally has to do with broadcasting :-P lol. also, fine, i wont delete this. also i mis you too. and it is weird that you commented here haha i'm so used to you commenting on LJ haha.
Post a Comment