Friday, July 25, 2008

"is it written in the stars?"

Tonight I saw Tim Rice & Elton John's Aida. A timeless love story. At my old high school

My good friend Michael conducted the pit orchestra. The orchestra was phenomenal. I wish I could have played it, but alas, there wasn't a book for me.

The show was pretty awesome too.

I love sir elton john. He's definitely awesome.

My old high school is not that awesome though. I really didn't want to go see Aida to tell y'all the truth. I went because I wanted to see Michael conduct his first ORR pit. I also wanted to hear some awesome music by sir elton john. And hear it being played by some former pit folk. I know/worked with/was taught by most of the orchestra so it was kinda sad not being able to be in there with them. But I do cherish the times I was able to play with them in a show, and alas remember all the memories created.

I will never forget the pit mouse. It is a memory Michael and I will share. His first pit experience. My last ORR pit experience as a student there. Ragtime: The Musical. I remember he played the keyboards and was so scared because he was afraid he wasn't going to play the right notes or miss some here and there, and I said to him:

"mike, i know i'm only two years older than you, and this is only my fifth pit, but if you want to hear some words of wisdom from me, well, it's mostly all about the faking. Just relax, take a deep breath, and don't think too hard. Just let it flow out of you, and well, I totally fake all of my sixteenth note runs and trills and fast parts that are really high. I just fake my way through, no matter how well I know the music. You have nothing to worry about."

and he said: "ok"

But back to the pit mouse.....a clarinet player, Mrs. Williamson, found a mouse, and she brought it with her to the pit. It was because there was a lot of food and crumbs everywhere. She joked that it was the pit mouse. And we put it on Mike's keyboard, and there it sat for the run of the show. Perched on his keyboard. It was pretty cool.

And I will never, ever forget that. Ever.

Just like i'll never forget what it feels like to play with a pit band for a show. I thought that playing in a concert band was the most exhilarating thing ever, that is until I played in my first pit band.

Playing in a pit band with all the musicians is the most exhilarating thing I have ever done. I feel a rush playing with an elite group of musicians, making music, memories and friendships.

I have seen both sides of a pit band: the conductor and the musicians.

I don't quite get that same rush when I conduct. That's a different rush. Don't get me wrong, I love conducting pit bands. I've conducted two pits already. But I believe I prefer playing in pits. Well, at least at ORR anyway. I don't care for the school anymore, or the Drama from drama club (no pun intended), but the one thing I absolutely never want to forget from ORR is playing in four pits there. And the one I played at Stang- Into the Woods. That was only just as thrilling because it was most of the same musicians I had worked with the previous month for Candide (my first pit).

-------

I don't think its cool that Who Killed Amanda Palmer? was leaked.

I refuse to listen to it. I don't even know where to find the link to the leaked record.

There's a discussion going on at the shadowbox forum. I am following it.

I am only going to listen to the officially released tracks via amp's youtube/myspace/other official places.

It comes out September 16th. You better go fucking buy it.

That's all I really have to say for now.

I must away to bed soon, for I must serve capitalist america at 7am.


&

1 comment:

Heather Bryant said...

haha i'm not sure what to think of aida...everyone was indeed great in it though. and musical michael was magnificent with his masterful marvels.